Embedding Contents in Moodle
Moodle and Next Tech support a protocol called Learning Tool Interoperability (LTI), which allows Next Tech content to easily be embedded into Moodle and supports direct grade passback.
The instructions below will show you how to create a global LTI tool, which allows you to quickly and easily add Next Tech contents throughout the rest of your course as activities.
To get started, make sure you are logged in as an admin on Moodle (Moodle teachers can add activities once you've created the global tool, but only admins can create a new global tool). Then navigate to Site Administration > Plugins tab > External Tool > Manage Tools.
Underneath the tool URL field, click Configure Tool Manually. You should see a screen like this:
Enter the following settings:
- Tool name: Next Tech
- Tool configuration usage: Select "Do no show; use only when a matching tool URL is entered"
- Default launch container: Select the option you'd like (click the ? icon for a description of each embed type)
Then under the privacy setting, you can configure the data to send to Next Tech. Contents will work without the user's (launcher's) name or email, however:
- If your content is graded, you must enable Accept grades from this tool
- You should check Force SSL for extra security
Once you have entered the required settings, save your new tool.
Once you've created your global LTI tool, you can embed content by navigating to a course, turning on edit mode, and adding a new activity. From the new activity popup, choose External Tool:
Click Add to be taken to this screen:
Enter the following values:
- Activity name: The name of your activity (shown to users)
- Preconfigured tool: Leave as Automatic, based on tool URL
- Tool URL: The content's LTI URL (found in the content editor by clicking the share icon in the top right corner, then selecting Learning Platform
If you've setup your global tool and the activity correctly, you will see a green checkmark next to the Tool URL field that says Using tool configuration: Next Tech.
You can also set grading and privacy settings from this page. Next Tech always returns a grade value between 0 (0%) and 1.0 (100%), so if you enter 200 points for this content and the user scores a 50% on Next Tech, they'll receive 100 points in Moodle.
When you're finished, click Save and display.
Your content should now show up, for example:
You can configure how the content is displayed to users via your global tool URL settings.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch!